Monday 28 October 2013

An apartment with some actual furniture in it!

So we've managed to make some progress on the apartment finally, after I cut back to working 3-4 days a week during the uni semester:
 We've added faux built-in low shelves/bench  to the empty wall in the loungeroom...those books may or may not have been arranged by colour when they were first added. I realise there are plenty of people who loathe that because it's a completely illogical way to arrange books, but my defense is twofold. Firstly, there may be some undiagnosed OCD going on here, so this is the way that looks neatest to me. And secondly, I have a full collection of the Great Books, and they are colour coded by content - literature/poetry is a rusty burgundy colour, the philosophers are a dark forest green etc...so the easiest way to find what you're looking for among them is to arrange by colour.
 We've also started a gallery wall, which is a huge work in progress. It currently includes an old print of a stripper, a map and postcards from New Orleans and a squirrell drawing. We have a big world map I'm framing next week to add, we're looking for a printable or purchasable map of Richard's hometown that shows the suburb he grew up in and we've got a USB of our own photos to get printed and blown up properly, this this will hopefully take shape soon.
 We've rearranged the office and added the pin boards I acquired back when I got staff discount of Kikki.K's expensive yet adorable stationary and office-y goods. It currently holds the rest of my postcards, maps etc, bills, love notes (awww) and reminders. It's doubling as a necklace holder because I have barely touched the bedroom yet and have nowhere to hang them and the cat keeps stealing them.

 We've started framing stuff for this room too. A teeny owl, some roses, Sienna in oils, and (one of) Richard's degrees.
The zebra chair has been banished to the office as a 'curl up and do your uni readings' chair/where the kitten sleeps when someone is working in the office (he's needy, and must be wherever the people are).

I've also made some updates to the bedroom with shiny new beside tables and lovely linen. You can see a preview of what's gone into the apartment and what is still to be added here:


But I'll update it more shortly - it's on my list of things to do along with two major uni assessments, a tonne of cleaning, taking care of a very sick boyfriend, cooking enough that I don't live off English muffins and Chinese food this week (unlike last week), studying for uni exams and finishing all those projects that will get swept aside in two weeks when I'm back at work full time and in the Christmas countdown. 

And yet, I'm blogging and watching Antiques Roadshow. Figures.

No comments:

Post a Comment